Monday, August 17, 2009

Luck

--This is day 1 of "The 7 Last days of Summer"--


I'm a lucky person.

Not in cards--I've played poker only once, and I wasn't very good at it.

Not in money--I never save as much as I want to or should.

Not in cars--James Dean is, well, struggling.

Not in brains--I spent way too much time studying for a test that shouldn't have been that hard, but still was.

And yet, I'm still lucky.

My summer went way too fast. I haven't been able to do as much as I would have liked (Fitzgerald, BP list, and blog I'm talking about you). I was feeling sorry for myself, for the opportunities I had missed this summer. But in the space of 2 days, I was constantly reminded of how lucky I was.

1. I got to be here for our Summer Of The Four--probably the last time we'll be able to do it.

2. I survived a life-threatening test.

3. I read good books. I was surprised by some prose, disgusted by some imagery, and fell in love with a sentence about centipedes.

4. I watched many movies, two of which shot to the top of my "Best Movies Ever" list.

5. I broadened my future resume experience (tour guiding a slightly historical site while wearing a large green dress--check.)

6. R and I enjoyed some new interesting musical experiences.

7. Our Summer of the Four had the greatest theme song ever--you would be horribly jealous.

8. I think I'm almost in a position to be ready to start next semester (more details on that to follow)

9. One of my older brothers is getting married in September to a wonderful girl. I was able to get to know her a little more this summer, and I got to spend a few, final great days with "just him".

10. Another one of my older brothers just got engaged to another wonderful girl (today, as a matter of fact). And I'm happy for them.

11. And my other older brother and I watched a movie together. I laughed harder in that movie than I had ever laughed in any other movie--and it wasn't because the movie was funny.

12. James Dean will fight through another day. He just needs some body work.

13. I have good friends--even though I never see them.

14. I have an awesome and completely insane family.

15. And you're here--what more could a girl need?

No comments:

Post a Comment