Sunday, June 27, 2010

Today

1.

I woke up today and it was storming.

I went for the early morning shift at work. Ad set went smoothly. That might sound like nothing to you, but it's one of two times that I can remember that happening.

We have a lady retiring after 35 years (I cannot imagine 35 years of retail). The ad set morning crew threw her a special party on our break. There were doughnuts, cinnamon rolls, platters of cheese and crackers, strawberry shortcake, and assorted other foods. I ate lots while listening to her tell us about the dance classes she took 30 years ago and the different steps she could lead--it was genuinely fascinating.

I left work and rushed to put gas in the car. I have a rewards card and today was payoff day--I saved 30 cents off each gallon I put in. I was way too excited.

I changed for church, picked up family and friend, and left. Halfway there, we were caught in a summer storm. It was a good storm. Loud, vicious, pelting, warm, and humid all at once. There is nothing like a good rainstorm to make you feel cocooned and content.

At church there was more food. I ate and enjoyed.

We left quickly after church to get home. I changed and ate quickly because I had to get back to work. Usually the Sunday afternoon shifts make me feel tired, hungry and cranky, but not today.

At work, my wonderful friend was back from vacation. We started trying to catch each other up on everything that had happened--we didn't get anywhere close, but we had fun trying.

I changed again. Headed back to church. Went to choir practice. I loved the music we were singing--for all the wrong reasons, and enjoyed the people I spent time with.

We headed home. I drove fast. I talked with Dad and then ate pizza. All were good.

2.

It doesn't sound like I had much time for reflection, but I found the time.

6 years ago today, the problem was technically over--the kids just didn't know it yet. We wouldn't be informed until Monday, but for all intents and purposes, it was over.

I've written about this anniversary on previous June 27th's, but I've never felt like I do now. It's a strange mixture of amazement, pain and joy--but the pain is lesser then it ever has been before; this time amazement and joy are taking over.

I wish I could tell those 16, 14, 12 and 10 (It's funny, but I never felt young) year olds that it was going to be better. It wasn't going to be easy, it wasn't going to be fast, and it certainly wasn't going to be complete, but it was going to be so much better.

I still have a long way to go. I won't bore you with all that still needs to be accomplished in my life, but it's a lot. There are things I would change about my current life, but nothing major like I would have 6 years ago.

People don't understand, but I'm serious when I say,
This is my life, and in it, I am content.

No comments:

Post a Comment