Saturday, February 14, 2009

Network



Network is a great movie.
It was nominated for 10 Oscars and won 4.
It won Best Actress, Best Actor, Best Supporting Actress, and Screenplay.



Why does Network matter to you?
Because it did something that many of you are hoping will happen this year.
Peter Finch (best actor) was the first and only actor in history to win a posthumous award.



I know this picture is in black and white, and the movie is in color, but this is one of the most powerful scenes in any movie. Ever. Beatrice Straight isn't in this movie for very long, but when she is... This one scene won her the Best Supporting Actress. You have to see it, it's incredible.



I don't have time for plot details, or favorite lines. But I always have time for Roger Ebert.
From his original review, "So the movie's flawed. So it leaves us with loose ends and questions. That finally doesn't bother me, because what it does accomplish is done so well, is seen so sharply, is presented so unforgivingly, that "Network" will outlive a lot of tidier movies"
Yes, you read that right. Roger Ebert just forgave the movie's flaws. How can you not want to see this film?

From his Great Movie review when he is talking about the director, Sidney Lumet, "In "Network," which is rarely thought of as a "director's picture," it is his unobtrusive skill that allows all those different notes and energy levels to exist within the same film. In other hands, the film might have whirled to pieces. In his, it became a touchstone."



I really want to watch this movie now. But I can't, I'm in school.
What's your excuse?

No comments:

Post a Comment